Dan Thiel joined MacQueen & Gottlieb, PLC in 2021 and brings a decade of legal experience to the firm. Since 2011, Thiel has practiced in state and federal courts throughout the nation. He began his career practicing in general commercial litigation. After that, he spent four years representing large pharmacy retail chains in complex antitrust actions pursuing claims against brand and generic drug manufacturers for attempting to monopolize the prescription drug market. He has also devoted a portion of his practice to representing life insurers in stranger originated life insurance (STOLI) litigation, a niche area of the law in which insurers challenge an investor’s attempt to cash in on individual life insurance policies for lack of insurable interest. In 2019, Thiel second-chaired a jury trial and secured a complete defense victory on behalf of an insurer client on a bad faith claim in which the policyholder was seeking in excess of $30 million in damages. He has also represented insurers in long term disability and ERISA litigation.
Thiel earned his Juris Doctor from the University of Pennsylvania where he received Honors in Legal Writing & Research and was the Associate Editor of the Journal of Constitutional Law. He is licensed to practice in Arizona, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania, as well as before the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Awards, distinctions and representative experience
- Admitted to practice law in Arizona, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania
- Member of American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Sections
- Villanova University: Bachelor of Arts; Major in Psychology; graduated summa cum laude
- University of Pennsylvania: Juris Doctor; Honors in Legal Writing & Research; Associate Editor of the Journal of Constitutional Law
What is one Magnificent & Great thing about you that people should know?
- In my junior year of high school, I hit a walk-off single to win my baseball team’s championship game.